Behind the Scenes {Star Wars Party}

{Party "not so" Secrets}
So, I'm feeling a bit guilty.  I think I have misled many into thinking that I'm cooler than I really am.

How?

Well, I've received a lot of great feedback on this SW party. Now I must confess:  It was a TON easier than it looked. 


To make things right, I've decided to give you a peak behind the scenes.  Please don't think any less of me, but I'm a pretty practical gal.  Just watch. I'll show ya.

{Party Prep}
If there's one thing that has helped me with parties, its starting early & involving anyone/everyone who is willing to help. {My sisters, Dennis, & husband are nodding about now.;)


I really love my "birthday boy" to help out as much as possible, so I pretty much cater to him.  We did a trial run of the cookies, craft {using what we had on hand}, and made the fondant and light sabers days before the party.  They make for super fun afternoon activities.  Ethan is great with scissors, so I had him cut as much as possible...the stickers, banner {with help from Stooph}, name tags, etc.

The night before we put together the party bags.  Well, "we" being my sister Steph, Ethan, & I.  My recruiting for party help had already begun. 

Sidebar: When I asked Ethan what he wanted to do at his party had said he wanted to open his presents 1st...so we did.  I mean really...who wouldn't?:)

{The Light-Saber Cake}
It was all about the easy marshmellow fondant. {Fondant is that smooth looking frosting used mostly for decoration. Watch the Cake Boss for more...;)}

If you can make rice krispie squares you can make this fondant!
I'm not kidding.



I just baked a box cake mix, cut it up length wise to make the light saber, covered it with buttercream frosting {except for the hand grip which is chocolate}, and put the fondant on top.

Here's the recipe I used right off of the Wilton website.  Ethan and I had a ball making it {no pun intended};) ...kneading it is like playing with playdough!

EASY Marshmellow Fondant
by Wilton

Ingredients:
•1 package (16 ounces) white mini marshmallows (use a good quality brand)
•2-5 tablespoons water
•2 pounds (about 8 cups) sifted confectioners' sugar
•1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening

Makes: About 2 pounds marshmallow fondant.

Instructions:

To make marshmallow fondant, place marshmallows and 2 tablespoons of water in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave 30 seconds on high; stir until mixed well. Continue microwaving 30 seconds more; stir again. Continue until melted (about 2 1/2 minutes).

Place 3/4 of the confectioners' sugar on top of the melted marshmallow mixture. Fold sugar into marshmallow mixture. Flavoring can be added at this point if desired. Place solid vegetable shortening in easily accessed bowl so you can reach into it with fingers as you are working. Grease hands and counter GENEROUSLY; turn marshmallow mixture onto counter. Start kneading like you would dough. Continue kneading, adding additional confectioners' sugar and re-greasing hands and counter so the fondant doesn't stick. If the marshmallow fondant is tearing easily, it is too dry; add water (about 1/2 tablespoon at a time) kneading until fondant forms a firm, smooth elastic ball that will stretch without tearing, about 8 minutes.

It's best to allow Marshmallow Fondant to sit, double-wrapped, overnight. Prepare the fondant for storing by coating with a thin layer of solid vegetable shortening, wrap in plastic wrap and then place in resealable bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible. Marshmallow Fondant will keep well in refrigerator for several weeks.

When not working with fondant, make sure to keep it covered with plastic wrap or in a bag to prevent it from drying out. When ready to use, knead fondant until smooth. Roll out fondant 1/8 in. thick.

To color fondant: If you need to tint the entire batch of fondant, add a little icing color to the melted marshmallow mixture before adding confectioners' sugar. For smaller amounts of tinted fondant, add icing color to portions of fondant as needed.

Yes, its that easy.

{Sticker Mania}
I {heart} stickers, and these are GREAT...especially if you have a party theme that may not be "main stream".  I'm pretty sure I broke all sorts of copyright laws, but since Legos and Star Wars are seperate we had to get creative. 

PS You didn't hear it from me...;)










{Basic Banner}
Out of paper bags. Yes, I know--so simple.  And listen,  you can do this for any occasion!   Just print out big letters and glue 'em right on!


{Light Sabers}
Ethan and I had a great time making these. 

Here's what we used...


and...
 of course.

{Busy Bodies}
If there's one thing I've learned about kid parties its to keep them BUSY! {Oh, and that 1 1/2 hours is the PERFECT party length...you may already know what I'm talking about.}

Scavengar hunts, treasure hunts, dancing games, obstacles courses, etc...have always been a kid favorite at our parties. {And they are sure fun to watch!}

Can you find the fabric with the letter on it?

{Getting Creative}
I can't help that I'm practical.  I always try to come up with something that the kids might actually use after the party! 

So, for around $5 at Walmart you can get a pack of 6 t-shirts.  Save your Joann's coupon and get some iron on transfer paper & print it out your design on your ink-jet printer at home! Easy Peezy.
{I reinforced my design by ironing it on thicker material and then sewing it onto the shirts...so that's optional of course.}




{Happy Me and Ethan}
 And now I feel much better having made this confession.

I won't "force" you to do any of these things, but only hope you will follow your heart when planning your next party. And instead of saying "maybe I'll TRY that", just understand that there is no "TRY", only "DO".;)

{And remember you can always email me with any questions.;)}

  XOXO-Emily

+Emily Ashby

No comments:

Recent Posts

google33e193cc695cc79f.html